This is our favorite chocolate “cake” recipe. It is incorrect to call it a cake since it is flourless and to call it a torte would mean there would have to be nuts or breadcrumbs in place of the flour. A cake without flour in called a “fallen.”
The recipe calls for,
300 g dark chocolate
300 g sweet cream butter
150 g sugar
1 spoonful Grand Marnier
(butter and alternative flour such as almond flour for the pan)
- melt chocolate and butter in double broiler.
- separate the eggs, yolks and whites.
- cream the yolks with the sugar and grand marnier.
- beat the egg whites stiff.
- mix together the creamed yolks with the chocolate.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Butter and flour with almond flour a 24″ – 26″springform cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and cook at 350* F for 20 mins.
- The cake will rise but it will fall as it cools leaving a cracked crust on top.
- Serve warm.
This “fallen” cake has a mousse like texture and is delicious on its own dusted with cacao, powdered sugar or served with ice-cream.